Friday, December 14, 2007

Dinosaurs and God: Lessons from a two-year-old

Last night Dillon woke up screaming, and when I raced in to see what was wrong he exclaimed, "Oh, Mommy, I sooooo scared! I soooo scared Mommy!" Then he proceeded to describe his dream where he was trying to get away from two dinosaurs (using Papa's lawn tractor.) When he finished telling me, I asked him,
"Who made the dinosaurs?" He exclaimed,
"God did!"
"Right! And who is bigger than the dinosaurs?"
"God is!!!"
"Yes! And who is taking care of you?"
"God is!!!"
Then we prayed and said our verse:
When I am afraid, I will trust in You. (Psalm 56:3)
He peacefully went back to sleep.

Dear Lord, give me the faith of a child. Give me eyes to see that you are bigger than any of the scary things I want to run away from. Give me a heart that sees your hand involved in sovereignly orchestrating even the difficulties in my life, and help me to remember that you are the same God who made the universe and also holds it in the palm of your hand. Thank you that you are this great God who also cares for me. Help me to say with David and my two year old boy, "When I am afraid, I will trust in You."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!