Monday, January 7, 2008

Come unto me . . .

Last night, as I lay weeping, it all came to me with the sharpness of a rebuke. Why should I weep and repine? Why should I bear this trouble as if it were my trouble alone? Have I not been expressly commanded not to do so? . . . 'Come unto me, all ye heavy laden,' and little by little everything grew clear. I had no right to agonize thus over Lilibeth and Eddie - it was distrusting Christ. It was as if I were bent double with some heavy load and a stronger offered to carry it , saying, 'It is really my load - give it to me!' yet I would still persist in clinging to the dreadful weight, staggering and groaning at every step, yet blaming that other even while refusing to yield the burden; and I said, 'Forgive me, Lord! Lilibeth and Eddie were yours before they were mine, and you love them. I give them to you to carry and to save. I will do my human best, and I will trust your heavenly wisdom and await your time. I have brought my burden - give me your comfort!' . . . I know that my Lord is carrying my burden, that I may rest in His peace. Lilibeth and Eddie are His, and He is 'mighty to save.' "

From the book Wrestler of Philippi by Fannie E. Newberry (1896)

Again, I find myself ministered to by other's words who can express so much better what I am going through right now.

5 comments:

  1. What Is Faith?
    "Faith is not a belief that everything will turn out to please us; rather it is the confidence that no matter how things turn out, God will somehow use the events in our days for His glory and for our good".
    E. Stanley Jones
    Sarah, I read this today and thought it might bring some peace to your heart too. Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you though another blogger. I also am adopting a little boy from EN. You are in my prayers! May God bring your babies home on His chosen day! And may he comfort you while you wait to be united with them.
    Stephanie
    babyallums.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray for you friend in this difficult time. I am sorry you have to feel this sadness now, but I know God has great plans for your future. After reading your post, I thought of the "Footprints" poem and I know God is carrying you right now...hope you find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matthew 19:26 "...with God all things are possible." We are an EN family and this verse is on our frig as we wait to bring our son/brother home. Many friends have given me verses to cling to as we go on this journey. Our prayers are with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We also are an EN family. I was very touched by your encounter with Christ in the midst of your sadness and fears. Thank you for sharing your faith and testimony of the Spirit working in you! We will be praying for you and your sweet ones to find their way home!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!