Tuesday, January 15, 2008

No good thing will He withhold

This is an quote from George Mueller concerning the sickness and eventual death of his wife:
The last portion of scripture which I read to my precious wife was this: “The Lord God is a sun and shield, the Lord will give grace and glory, no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.” Now, if we have believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, we have received grace, we are partakers of grace, and to all such he will give glory also. I said to myself, with regard to the latter part, “no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly”—I am in myself a poor worthless sinner, but I have been saved by the blood of Christ; and I do not live in sin, I walk uprightly before God. Therefore, if it is really good for me, my darling wife will be raised up again; sick as she is. God will restore her again. But if she is not restored again, then it would not be a good thing for me. And so my heart was at rest. I was satisfied with God. And all this springs, as I have often said before, from taking God at his word, believing what he says.

Lord God, we believe your word that says you will not withhold any good thing from those who walk uprightly. We know that if it is really good for us, Lilibeth and Eddie will come into our home, but if they do not come home, it is because it would not have been a good thing for us. We rest in you. We want to be fully satisfied in you alone. We trust in your perfect wisdom. And while it looks like Lilibeth and Eddie will not come into our family, we trust that you do all things for the good of those you love you and who believe in your promises. We believe Lord, please help our unbelief. Fill us with grace and mercy as we respond to this situation you have placed before us. Be a sun and a shield to us. Bring healing to our broken hearts and cause us to trust and rest in you more. You are an amazing God, and we praise you for this work you have begun in us. In the precious name of Jesus we pray, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,
    We're still praying for you guys. Thank you for sharing your faith even in the pain.
    As to your last post, your little one sounds wise beyond her years.
    I love the pics on the side you've posted recently too. Let us know if we can ever help at all. -Tim

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!